iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
Wess
General Moderator

Fourteen years? Y'all, we're old. Fourteen years ago, I was watching the dubbed version of Naruto after school at my grandma's house and had no idea what anime was. Fast forward a few, and my twelve year old ass decided that I enjoyed writing.

So, now we can insert a generic, "Engi raised me up from middle school," post like I do every year -- I've made some really good friends, and I'm glad I stuck around.

As for the arc, does that mean I'll be getting my mystery PM to participate soon?

I'll be banking the heirloom and AP, btw.

AP / Swaps
Wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
Juushichi
[R E D A C T E D]

Hohoho, 14 years of Engi. This year is truly my 10th year of Engi. I was 16 when I joined this site, wow. This place has meant a lot to me, enough so that I don't think I ever want to change my twitter handle from @EnginoJuushichi, or Juushichi of Engi.

Every so often, I have the ideas of the past drifting around and I get the urge to post. Calibur, I promise you, you will have a post this year. I have one about 80% written at this point, but I'd have to check back into a few things. I'm almost ready to broadcast, we can do this. Thanks to everyone who has added to this site.

I'll graciously partake in the 7AP and relinquish my Heirloom item to Toshiko.

[Kirigakure] Imai Hayate [Kusagakure] Kiyomizu Shusui
[Kumogakure] Matsuoka Imae [Konohagakure] Ohayashi Toshiko
Current Owner of: [Legendary] The Peregrine: Shimizu Miho
Items, Hijutsu, Roleplay
Juushichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #13
Lei-Lei
Ancient Member

Happy birthday, engi. I’ll keep mine short and just say that I’m grateful that an outlet like this existed for me. I was fifteen years old when I joined, an outcasted anime/manga and literature geek that didn’t know how to speak in a language that wasn’t nerd. This community was, for a long time, the only place where I felt I could breathe. Thank you all for existing.

I don’t have a single favorite engi memory. Just all the vignettes of moments where we excitedly talked about character and plot ideas in chat. Even if some of them never came to fruition.

I’ll claim the AP and Heirloom for Keiichi. Someone will need to help me with figuring out how applying them actually works nowadays. Love you all.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
Break
Person

Popping in to claim that 7AP and Heirloom. Rock on, Engi!
Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #15
Calibur
Elder Member

Yesterday I found myself contemplating the time I'd spent on Engi (and off Engi, to be fair) in regards to my first real character, Kansei Tanryoku, who was 24 when I created him, aged 21. His confusion about who he wanted to be reflected my own, though I didn't realise at the time how dramatically.

I didn't know then that I wanted to be a writer; all I was sure of was that this was the first forum where I felt at home with my writing. I would tell my friends about it, show them the character sheets, the high quality threads, share my plans. Some thought it was interesting, others sad. To each their own. I was chatting to one of them last night and he remembered the time, nine years ago, when I brought up my writing on the site. He remembered. I was reminded of how proud I was in that moment, and feel the same now. It was the right thing for me, and even now that I turn my attentions and most of my efforts to completing my first novel by the end of the year, it is a haven and sandbox I will continue to treasure throughout the process.

Like Tanryoku, I went on to see if academic teaching was for me (during my first real year of inactivity away from Engi, not that I'm super prolific anyway) or if I should stick to the 'doing' profession instead. And like Tanryoku I found a balance, only after he did. I'm now living an almost identical lifestyle (mentor for young people, coach in training, sports teacher, daredevil performer, martial artist) which I find utterly hilarious and poetic. The only thing he's missing is a romance for the ages (which I, at least, found first). Get this man a girlfriend! He doesn't know what he's missing.

Still, when I write as him, through him, I see the man I am today, six years his senior, reflected in lessons he was lucky enough to learn in a tenth of the time IC.

I'm honoured that Engi is still around, entering its fifteenth year, for me to come back to. And Engi is only Engi because of the writers who swell its ranks, so I mean to stay. I know other things will come up, but I don't think there will ever be a time when even a small part of me doesn't need this place, and doesn't want to walk its hallowed halls. It's a place unlike any other.

Thank you for the 7AP. I would like to claim the heirloom for my Grass Sennin, Haru. He's next to step up to the plate.
Calibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
Mr. Hicks
Will RP For Meat

Huh, 14 years huh, that is certainly an admirable accomplishment.

Admittedly I had already spilled my guts about my overall feelings about this site last year, and very little has changed since between then and now in the sense of that I have chosen to not be a resentful jerk.

In hindsight I wish I had accomplished more in RP, but the truth is that the majority of us are adults now and we all have adult shit to do. We do our best when we can so I am not going to beat myself up about it.

No really, I'm not, the meds pretty much stop me from being a self-deprecating moron now.

But still I am honored I was able to stick around long enough to see Engi get this old.

I will take that free stuff now. 7 AP and that heirloom. Just banking it for now.

Takeshi Sakuragi - Masked Grass Field Doctor
Koji Zansetsu - Hot-Blooded Cloud Field Mechanic
Hideyoshi Watanabe - Conniving Sand Hustler
Mr. Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #17
vulpix13

Claiming the 7AP and Heirloom.

Engi is something that I like to know will always be there and I check every now and then to be sure, even if I do not have the time to RP as much. It is also the only site I have ever manage to RP for a significant period of time, and probably always will be. I guess I will always be a Naruto fanboy.

vulpix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #18
Geisha
Thus Always to Tyrants

Literally can't remember what the global arc was. Claimed and ready to begin the cycle again!

Merdle Edit: Ouch

Last edited by merdle; 03-20-2018 at 02:05 AM..
Geisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 PM   #19
Solias

Default back and better than ever

im back, hopefully for good, and looking to claim a few ap before i head out into the wonderful world of engi again. its good to be back and i hope to get a chance to ninja things up with all of you
Solias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #20
Mizu
Snow GM

It’s wild to believe I’ve been on here since I was a baby in high school, watching Naruto and bleach season 1. I’ve come far from being the minmax munchkin who tried to unironically register a Kankuro knockoff with a Hyuuga eye implant as my first character and a weird obsession with the corpse manipulation tree.

Now I’m a legitimate adult with a house and car payments.

I remember staying up til late arguing with Jazz over PMs until he finally just gave me his number to text it out and then we were friends. I met chi and she became a friend to me by virtue of just being a good person. I watched mods come and go, and admins, too. I remember Being jealous of Merdle for joining after me and rising brought the ranks.

I remember thinking it was cool to tear people down and generally be a little jerk.

I remember my failed Roots character and the maelstrom it brought.

But most of all I remember the awesome stories we wrote together, the people who I saw improve from simple sentences to epic prose, and the friendship we made along the way or however that phrase goes. Engi is its own thing, and I’m so proud to be a part of it.

[[Jadartan]]
Social Media Moderator for Engi.
Co-Secondary Mist GM
Enari Clan GM, The Loyalists GM

Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote