iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

Default [Amegakure Chuunin] Oichi Josuke

Name: Oichi Josuke
Sex: Male
Height: 5'5”

Character Type:Shinobi

Country/Village: Rain Country/Hidden Rain/Amegakure
Division:N/A

Physical Description: Josuke's body is a diminutive, skeletal puppet, appearing more like a reanimated corpse than a living human. Each frail twig of a limb extends only a short distance from the body, with incredibly pale skin stretched across the grotesquely sinewy muscle responsible for the shambling character of his movement. His skull shows clearly through his haggard face and every aspect of his already gaunt facial features become exaggerated by a constantly nervous expression and clenched teeth. From voice alone it is possible to tell exactly how tense Josuke keeps himself. Despite his very practiced emotionless monotone, the wavering notes of fear and stress often leak through and distort his pitch, causing his voice to crack at times. Actions and mannerisms similarly display a very practiced and controlled fluidity, but with cracks of jerky, puppet-like movement in stressful situations. His thin yellow hair is kept exceedingly well groomed and short for sanitary purposes, of course. Excessive hygiene practices keep Josuke free from noticeable odor, although a faint smell of metallic sterility always hangs over him. His eyes are colored a rich dark brown, but his constant squint gives the illusion of his iris being black or devoid of color altogether.

Clothing:
Unwieldy and highly unorthodox, Josuke's outfit mostly serves as his first line of 'defense' against the filth he perceives to exist all around him. On his upper body, he usually wears a heavy hooded coat which extends down to his ankles. Due to it's size, it hides Josuke's frail looking body, although it also severely affects his dexterity. Underneath is a smaller, yet still thick fabric shirt, also long sleeved but tied around the waist tightly with a belt. At the end of this shirt's sleeves are dense rubber gloves, attached via zipper around the sleeves. These gloves restrict dexterity and prevent jutsu usage but are well insulated, and the gloves can be removed partially or entirely. From his waist Josuke wears similarly heavy pants, which are tucked into tightly fastened boots. Most noticeable is the bizarrely shaped gas-mask affixed to his face at almost all times. The mask features an extended, beak-like nose and covers most of his head, and serves as a air filtration device (breathing apparatus) and provides mild eye protection. The mask also covers his ears, muffling most sounds, and the eye holes hamper his peripheral vision. The overall outfit can get very stuffy and hot, and if required Josuke can shed a layer, but doing so takes quite a bit of time.

Personality:
A child in transition, Josuke walks a blurry line between what he wants to be and what he knows he ought to be. Dreadfully afraid of even his own shadow, Josuke seems more cut out to be a hermit than a doctor or a soldier. However somewhere in the back of his cautious, horrified mind, a notion of responsibility took root and refused to let Josuke life a quiet life. Like a relentless beast, this idea of protecting those in danger clenched its jaws around his leg and now desperately tries to pull him away from all safety. This troublesome development of a conscience drives him to take risks to help others and serve his country as a soldier, usually when it is against is best interest to do so. Josuke is every bit as bitter and pessimistic about reality as before this bad case of morality grabbed hold of him. But even when every cell of his body and mind screams to flee, to run, to hide, Josuke finds himself doing exactly the opposite. Socially he's an awkward mess, a conversational train wreck whose humorless attitude manages to kill even the most delightful of topics. Well aware of this, Josuke usually keeps quiet, which is sometimes interpreted as aloofness. Despite his age, Josuke is still rambling about in a very gawky, teenage manner while trying to be mature and at the same time childishly trying to hide away from anything that frightens him.

Nindo; "Way of the Ninja":
Serve those who serve you.

Clan/Bloodline:N/A

Primary Archetype:
Healer
Special: When taken as Primary Archetype, the character has an intimate knowledge of the human body and can recognize injuries/illnesses instantly so that appropriate measures can be taken. This knowledge gives the Healer the jutsu “Diagnosis” for free.
Stat Merit: +2 to Intelligence, +1 to Reserves
Stat Flaw: -1 to Strength, -1 to Speed, -1 to Willpower
Secondary Archetype:
-----------------------------------
Statistics

Primary
Mental

Intelligence: 1 +2 +9 +2(TH)=14
Tactics: 1 +10 +2(TH) =13
Willpower: 1 -1 +11 +2(TH) =13

Secondary
Chakra

Power: 1 +9 +2(TH) =12
Control: 1 +10 +1(AP) +2(TH) =14
Reserves: 1 +1 +8 +1(TH) =11

Tertiary
Physical

Strength: 1 -1 +8 + 5(TH) =13
Speed: 1 -1 +8 +8(TH) =16 +20
Stamina: 1 +8 +5(TH) =14 +16
--------------------------------------------------
Jutsus and Techniques:

Medical Jutsu List
[1]Igaku Kunren - Medical Training (Requirements: Control 2, Willpower 2)
[1]Teikouryoku – Power of Resistance (Requirements: Power 3, Intelligence 2)
[1]Kanrinin - Caretaker (Requirements: Control 3, Tactics 2)
[1]Byouki no Fujikome – Disease Containment (Requirements: Intelligence 3, Reserves 3)
[2]Keksuki Gyouko – Blood Coagulation (Requirements: Control 5, Power 4, Reserves 4)
[2]Jokyo Dokubutsu – Poison Removal (Requirements: Intelligence 5, Willpower 4, Tactics 4)
[3]Chiyute no Jutsu – Healing Hands Technique (Requirements: Control 8, Power 8, Reserves 6)
[3]Kigusuri Souzou – Medicine Creation (Requirements: Intelligence 8, Willpower 6, Tactics 8)
[3]Hekirekite no Jutsu – Thunder Hands Technique (Requirements: Control 9, Power 9, Intelligence 7)
[4]Souzou Dokubutsu – Poison Creation (Requirements: Intelligence 12, Willpower 11, Tactics 10, Control 12, Medicine Creation) [GMAP]
[4]Chakra Enjintou – Chakra Scalpel Requirements: Control 12, Power 11, Reserves 10, Intelligence 12

Shirou Suiton
[1]Mizu Souken (Water Creation) Requirements: Power 2, Tactics 2
[1]Toikino Suijouki (Breath of Vapor) Requirements: Power 3, Willpower 2
[2]Suitoraeru no Jutsu (Water Sight Technique) Requirements: Intelligence 5, Tactics 4, Willpower 4
[3]Doroheki no Jutsu (Mud Wall Technique) Requirements: Power 8, Control 8, Reserves 6
[3]Doro Bunshin no Jutsu (Mud Clone Technique) Requirements: Power 9, Control 9, Intelligence 7
[3]Ude no Taku (Arms of the Octopus) Requirements: Intelligence 8, Tactics 6, Willpower 8
[4]Doryu no Jutsu (Mud Dragon Technique) Requirements: Power 12, Control 11, Reserves 10, Intelligence 12
[4]Doro Shunshin no Jutsu (Mud Instantaneous Body Skill) Requirements: Intelligence 14, Tactics 13, Willpower 11, Control 10

Global Ninjutsu
[1]Henge no Jutsu (Transformation Technique) Requirements: Control 3, Intelligence 2
[1] Anrokku no Jutsu (Unlocking Technique) Requirements: Intelligence 3, Reserves 3
[2]Kinobori/Kabenobori no Jutsu (Tree Walking / Wall Walking Technique) Requirements: Power 5, Control 4, Reserves 4
[3]Fukuwajutsu (Ventriloquism) Requirements: Intelligence 9, Tactics 9, Control 7
[3] Shukuchi (Reduced Earth) Requirements: Intelligence 8, Tactics 8, Willpower 6
[4] Saihen no Te (Hand of Debris) Requirements: Intelligence 12, Tactics 11, Willpower 10, Power 12

Shinjutsu Ryuu
Stage Four
Stat Requirements: Speed: 16, Stamina: 14, Strength: 13, Intelligence: 14
Stage Bonuses: +5 Speed, +4 Stamina

Special Techniques:
Numbing Limb
Minor Rejuvenation - Medical Skill
Limb Paralysis

Inventory
2- Body Armor
3 -Antidotes
4 – Gas Mask (Helmet[1] + Breathing Apparatus[1] + Night Vision[2])

Weapon Points Remaining: 3
Additional Weapon Points Gained:4

-----------------------------------------

Biography:
A child of the underground, Josuke's life mimics the isolation of the village which sheltered him. His family raised him and loved him dearly, no different than any other family. His life up to his early childhood remained free of trauma, and although Josuke seemed a rather quiet boy, he otherwise lived much like any boy his age. He played, he laughed, he loved, the usual boring stuff.

Around the age of 10, he caught a deathly illness from an accident. The particular disease he caught wracked him with horribly painful muscle convulsions, all while leaving his mind vividly conscious and aware. The disease violently ravaged him and death appeared certain. The only thoughts Josuke could muster while undergoing such painful convulsions was of death. Death and regret. However, he anticlimactically got better. Although after the disease ran its course his family was immensely relieved, poor Josuke remained terrified. Despite having recovered physically, he never managed to recover mentally.

Even after getting out of bed for the first time in months, Josuke remained absolutely terrified of his death. Sure, he'd escaped that one ailment, but there lurked around every corner something more vile and destructive, just waiting to tear his fragile life apart. Withdrawn and paranoid, Josuke drew away from his family and life. His concerned, well meaning family didn't know what to do. Luckily a friend of the family knew the perfect answer; Josuke had become a sulking, brooding problem child! This type of child has to have his attitude nipped in the bud, and there was only one place to teach discipline to a misbehaving child: the shinobi academy.

Due to his submissive nature, Josuke relented to his parents encouragement and was shipped off at once for the academy. The hoped was he'd return an accomplished student and be rendered free from this horrible gloom. Sadly, no amount of wishful thinking or good intentions was going to make Josuke into a competent ninja. He struggled those years, and such things as basic chakra manipulation skills eluded him. He could absorb the knowledge alright, and indeed he spent a good chunk of his time pouring over medical volumes to reaffirm his belief that his death was imminent. However every 'shinobi' skill he just couldn't get right. Around his third failed graduation exam, a teacher decided to, out of the goodness of his heart, take this floundering rookie under his wing.

Results were underwhelming as it became clear this child lacked both talent and any motivating force to try harder. The teacher sought to cleverly torpedo this idea out of Josuke's mind through very direct threats designed to scare Josuke straight.. “You know, you'll definitely be punished if you don't get this right. You know what they do to the kids who fail the test four times, right?”

Through a mixture of intensive studying and absolute terror, Josuke barely passed the exam and was promoted to the rank of genin. However passing a test did not suddenly imbue him with skill. Once assigned to a team the obscene skill-level difference became evident. His area of expertise in the medical arts might be decent, but in every other ability drug the team down considerably.

It was only though a miraculous combination of serendipity and stupidity Josuke managed to stay afloat as a soldier. His constant fear proved bizarrely useful on missions as he always planned ahead and kept a sharp lookout for danger. Likewise, Josuke was so intimately aware of his own uselessness that he desperately feared the loss of his comrades, his only line of defense against a world out to get him. To the outside observer, Josuke appeared very professional in his absolute dedication to the mission and his teammates. In reality, he was only trying to protect his own hide.

Regardless, after a number of years his perceived devotion to shinobi work earned him high marks towards a promotion. Due to a particularly recent harrowing mission where Josuke accidentally risked his life and as a result saved a valuable civilian from death, he has recently earned a promotion. This news horrified Josuke immensely. As of now, he waits anxiously to be assigned to a chuunin squad.

Other Info: The purpose of the mask, like the purpose of his clothing, is to keep what Josuke perceives as 'dirty' air from reaching him. The breathing apparatus is inside the beak portion of the mask and allows him to talk normally while still having his air filtered.

Thread Ratings:
Ill Will - 2 TP, 1 AP, 1 GMAP: +1 Power, Tactics, Control, Chiyute no Jutsu.
On The Same Page: +1 Reserves, Willpower
On the Same Page: Natori: +1 Speed, Stamina, Mud Clone
Medical Ninjutsu Revamp: Medical jutsu revised
Lost in Transit: +1 Power, Doryu no Jutsu
Dry Spell: +1 Intelligence, Ude no Taku
Brain Tryst: +1 Intelligence,Henge no Jutsu (Transformation Technique)
Rust +1 Willpower, +1 Control, Kinobori/Kabenobori no Jutsu, AP Spent [Fukuwajutsu]
A Walk in the Sewers +1 Speed, +1 Tactics, Doro Shunshin no Jutsu
Extra Traditional Squabbles +1 Speed, Shinjutsu Ryuu Stage 1
Party at the Ritz Shinjutsu Ryuu Stage 2
Torn, Adament Vandals Shinjutsu Ryuu Stage 3
Spinal Tap +1 Control, +Shinjutsu Ryuu - Numbing Limb
Vendor Tendor +1 Speed, Minor Rejuvenation - Medical Skill, + 1 Strength [MotM]
SeeDed - +1 Speed, +1 Stamina, Chakra Enjintou - Chakra Scalpel, + 1 Strength [MotM]
On the Same Page: Fenshingu - +1 Speed, +1 Stamina, Saihen no Te (Hand of Debris), +1 Strength (MotM)
Quixotic Quarantine -+1 Stamina, +1 Speed, Shukuchi (Reduced Earth)(MotM)
A Frozen Rain - +2 Strength
Bum Rustled - +1 Speed, +1 Stamina, Anrokku(MotM)
Perpendectomy - Stage Four Shinjutsu Ryuu
Suspectsister - +4 WP, Limb Paralysis

Last edited by Wess; 08-08-2018 at 01:25 AM..
Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Sinnocent
So fragile yet so devious

Are you /really/ sure you just want one list and to have it entirely filled with medical stuff?

One thing people seem to forget on Engi, is that there is other stuff to be in the Engiverse besides a shinobi. This guy seems more fitted to be a doctor or something than a ninja who is eventually going to have to kill something or someone. He might not have been suited to be a solider but he would have been on a regular genin team that would have done normal missions. He'd be in a supportive role. While I hate to use this, think of Sakura or Tsunade. Medics, but they can kick ass too.

And while I can't speak for Juu, I don't think they'd let someone in to the academy who didn't want to become a true, versatile shinobi. That decision falls on him though.

Finally, just what did he do to get the promotion to Chuunin rank? A guy who isn't suited for combat and sticks to himself doesn't give himself a chance to prove himself worthy of being promoted really... sooo... yeah.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

Yeah, I figured it'd be a hard sell. I made him pure-medic for a few reasons, but I'm totally willing to heavily alter whatever is necessary if it'll fit the setting better. But I guess I'll explain myself first.

My main reason for pure having only medic skills was I thought it fit the character better. The guy is only interested in healing, why learn anything unrelated? He's also paranoid and afraid, so field work either wouldn't or didn't work out for him. I could probably elaborate his training/genin years better in the bio, but I was trying to keep it short as possible since the Rain announcement thread said you're looking for bios from 500 to 700 words long. I can change up the lists/personality so he's more well-rounded if it's an issue though.

I also fully intended to try to make him into something resembling a soldier. I wanted to start with "guy who really just wants to be a doctor" and turn him into "guy who learns he's needed on the field to protect everyone" or something similar. Again, easy fix if that's a problem, I'll just advance the character's history a bit and say he's already learning that.

As far as the promotion, I know I was kind of taking liberties in assuming anybody would be promoted purely for medical expertise. I was thinking along the lines of "He's technically a medic genin, although he sticks to medicine and not shinobi work. He's an excellent medic, so they 'promote' him, although he's useless, so they can pull him into a more shinobi-style life and make him less useless."

Also, part of it is that making a genin medic would totally suck and he'd be twice as useless, and he's already pretty useless as it is. Overall, I'd much rather he remain a chuunin than he remain a pure-medic, so if I fix it up to make him more well-rounded I'll go ahead and fix the 'promotion' part of his history as well.

Like I said originally, I'm flexible. I can tone down the fearfulness, diversify the jutsu, and shift around the bio to get a more 'shinobi'-type shinobi if this is too off-the-wall or to 'unlikely' of a character to be approved. I wasn't sure what'd pass, so I appreciate your honesty.

TL;DR I'll fix it
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Rizhou
Character Registry Stalker

Quote:
Healer
Stat Merit: +2 to Intelligence, +1 to Reserves
Stat Flaw: -1 to Strength, -1 to Speed, -1 to Willpower
Quote:
Power: 1 +9 =10
Control: 1 +11 =12
Reserves: 1 +2 +7 =10
That should be a + 1, making Reserve 9.

Quote:
Chishio Tensou no Jutsu (Blood Transfusion Skill)
Requirements: Control 12, Power 11, Reserves 10, Intelligence 12
Which means you don't have enough stats for the tech.

I don't have a problem with a char with just medical skills. Agrees with Junge on the character advancement.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

Alright, I've rewritten almost everything. Clothing description remains the same but I've altered all the other fields.

I dropped 4 medic skills, mostly the high-level ones. I also fixed the stat problem and I removed the offending tech anyway. Put the jutsu into a Rain list so he's a little bit more diverse now.

I've also tried to decouple the character from as much angst as possible and write him as more as someone whose more comically frightened than just darkly so. As much as I loved the interview-type bio I went ahead and nixed it in favor of a wall o' text style so I could cut down on the word count and still put the relevant information in.

There's probably still a bunch of junk that might come across as contradictory since I've been rewriting him on and off over Christmas. The whole genin to chuunin part of his history is purposely vague because I wasn't sure if it was just rote promotion or by exam (I've seen both used in previous Rain characters) so I apologize should that be inaccurate. I also totally neglected to incorporate any of Rain's current or past happenings into the bio, mostly because it only occurred to me to do so when making this post. Damn it. I'll add in some stuff if the character is too generic right now but I'll have to play around with the bio to squeeze it in and still keep the stupid thing under 700 words.

I appreciate any honesty if I haven't defined the character enough or he is still too unshinobi-like to merit his rank. There's always a ton of stuff I think up but forget to write out on paper, so it's likely there are some holes or gaps I've missed and feel free to point them out. Brutal honesty is the best policy, I'm told.

TL;DR: I hope I fixed it.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Sinnocent

In your jutsu list, you have Name: Toikino Suijouki (Breath of Vapor) listed twice
Old 01-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Rizhou
Character Registry Stalker

Rain GM Approval pending Sinn's note there.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
Sinnocent

And now that that's fixed, if Riz is fine with it... all your stats and stuff check out. Soo... Half'd
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Will of Fire
:)

Quote:
Control: 1 +10 =12
That should be 11.

Fix it up and you'll have yourself another Approval.

Please do not request registry checks. I'll get to it soon enough.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Junge
u havin a giggle m8

I went ahead and fixed everything a while ago, I've just been delaying mentioning it because I was mulling over the idea of trying to spice up the bio. But I guess I can live with 'good enough' if everyone else can.

Fixed both the stat problem and the repeated jutsu, and bumping this.