iconAll times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Break
Person

Default [Mist Chuunin] Murakami Jun

Name: Murakami Jun
Sex: Male
Height: 6'0"
Theme Song: Pink Floyd - Mother

Character Type: Shinobi
Country/Village: Kirigakure
Division: Navy (Sailor)

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted."

"Ah, mon cher, for anyone who is alone, without God and without a master, the weight of days is dreadful."

Appearance: Jun approaches the matter of his appearance with a level of vanity and shrewdness unusual for a man of his age. His six foot frame is lithe, well-defined and practically devoid of fat; a figure achieved through a strict diet and training regimen. When in public, Jun can almost always be found wearing a fancy black sailor’s uniform under which he sports a sky blue dress shirt and black tie. This slick, formal ensemble is, of course, only complete along with a pair of black slacks and pretentiously lavish black leather shoes. However, the formal air of Jun’s outfit is slightly betrayed by his sleeves, which he always keeps rolled up.

Somewhere above this punctilious attire, one finds Jun’s face. Like his clothes, this visage is handsome and well groomed but also somewhat stoic: he is especially good looking, but not in a unique sort of way. Jun keeps his chiseled jawline particularly clean-shaven and his skin clear. The judgmental blue-green gems that serve as Jun’s eyes are typically veiled behind his favorite pair of stylish sunglasses. Adorning the crown of this picturesque mannequin is Jun’s dark brown hair. In the past he had kept it cut short, but he has since let it grow longer. He is very particular about keeping it styled and this has led to a constant habit of him slicking his hair back with his hand. When angry or stressed, there will almost certainly be a cigarette between his lips.

Personality: Sharp, efficient, irritable, ambitious, critical, intelligent, manipulative, vain, ruthless, disciplined. These are words others would use to describe Jun.

Superior, frustrated, terrified, condemned, bored, unsatisfied, anxious. These are words Jun would use to describe himself.

Jun is an uneasy man and rarely satisfied. His natural talent and intelligence (along with having a rich father) have allowed for success in most of Jun’s endeavors. However, a history of success and his first-rate education have forged an arrogant young man: Jun is good-looking (read: vain), successful, well-off and he knows it. Furthermore, he's capable of being quite charming if it serves his ends. Nonetheless, he considers the majority of people to be incompetent and not on his level of awareness or worth; this in turn leads to a great deal of frustration and frequent oversight on Jun’s part. This does not prevent him from showing respect where he feels it is due, though earning it is no small task.

Perhaps what describes Jun’s personality the most is his constant struggle with the concept of existence. Why am I here? What’s the point? If everything’s impermanent, why bother? What do I want out of this existence? These are questions that routinely plague Jun, to him the world is infinitely complicated and there are no simple answers. Because of this he thrives on discipline and takes solace in his career as a shinobi. Tasks and missions are simple and clear-cut: they are to be completed. Jun relies on these basic accomplishments to obtain a sense of achievement and self-worth.

Nindo: Some do it because they are patriotic; others, because they enjoy it. Me? I just do it to get it done.

Clan/Bloodline: None

Primary Archetype:

-----------------------------------

Statistics

[x] = Shogun merits/flaws
[x] = Pool Points
[x] = Taijutsu Bonuses

Physical (Primary)

Strength: 1 + 2 + 11 = 14 + [8 (Sanshi no Mizu)] = 22
Speed: 1 + 2 + 10 = 13 + [9 (Onigokko Kenjutsu)] = 22
Stamina: 1 + 1 + 9 = 11 + [11 (Sanshi no Mizu)] = 22

Mental (Secondary)

Intelligence: 1 + 9 = 10
Tactics: 1 + 1 +8 = 10
Willpower: 1 - 1 + 10 = 10

Chakra (Tertiary)

Power: 1 - 2 + 9 = 8
Control: 1 + 7 = 8
Reserves: 1 - 3 + 8 = 7

--------------------------------------------------

Jutsus and Techniques:

Sanshi no Mizu (Water of Deep Reflection)
[F1] - Stage One (Strength 4, Speed 4)
[F2] - Stage Two (Strength 6, Speed 8, Tactics 6)
[F3] - Stage Three (Strength 12, Speed 8, Tactics 8)
Accumulated Stat Bonuses: +11 Stamina, +8 Speed, +8 Strength

Onigokko Kenjutsu (Chase the Devil Sword Techniques)
[F4] - Stage One (4 Willpower, 4 Tactics)
[F5] - Stage Two (7 Willpower, 7 Tactics, 6 Speed)
[F6] - Stage Three (10 Willpower, 10 Tactics, 8 Speed)
[F7] - Special Technique: Surprise the Devil
Accumulated Bonuses: +9 Speed

Hidden Mist Genjutsu
[F8] - Kani Hokou (Crab Walk) (Intelligence 3, Reserves 2)
[F9] - Shiiru Ninpou: Hoshou (Force Art: Assurance) (Willpower 7, Intelligence 7, Reserves 6)
[F10] - Kai (Swapping for Tsuiraku Nami no Jutsu, Willpower 8, Intelligence 8, Tactics 6)

Global Ninjutsu
[F11] - Kawarimi no Jutsu (Intelligence 3, Reserves 3)
[F12] - Kinobori no Jutsu (Power 6, Control 6, Intelligence 4)

Inventory:

- Katana [6]
- Soldier Pills [6]
- Breathing Apparatus [2]
- Communications Device [1]
- Mechanical Eye Attachment Mk.II (50x Zoom, Night Vision) [5]

Weapon Points Remaining: 0
Additional Weapon Points Gained: 0

-----------------------------------------

Biography:

So, we were in port last night and I went out to dinner with this girl; what else was I going to do? We’re eating and making the usual small talk when out of nowhere she asks me what I want out of life. Just like that. Bam.

“I have no fucking clue!” would have been the most honest, but least charming answer. Instead, I simply smiled and replied that I really wasn’t sure. I find that if you smile, most people will happily accept your answer, even if it’s utter bullshit. Her answer to the same question? To get married and one day have kids, to maybe become a partner at the accounting firm she works for. I simply cannot understand answers like these, to validate one’s existence by creating replacements for oneself, to work simply for the sake of making money. I smile and nod.

“Well, do you like being a shinobi?” she asks. I suppose I do. But it isn’t like I could tell her that I continue to be a shinobi simply because I’m not sure what else to do, because I need the structure and discipline or else I’d go crazy. “Yes,” I reply, adjusting my collar, “it’s nice to be a part of something bigger, to be able to serve the country.” What a perfect little politician I am. The night continues on like this, her asking empty questions, me feeding her the answers she wants to hear. As the night comes to a close, I realize I’m not getting anywhere (she doesn’t seem to be the easy type), so I take my leave saying (read = lying) that I should make it home before the enforced curfew. As much as I hate this whole enforced curfew thing, it does make for a rather useful exit strategy. I wander off to some grimy bar.

I enter, grab a seat at the bar and order a class of whiskey – sake has never suited me. I drink in silence, half-listening to the slurred, murmured conversations of the idiots around me, half-examining my glass and the grain of the bar. After a while, I feel the whiskey take effect and I begin to relax. Assorted memories emerge from the shadows cast by the dim, yellow lighting, they float up, asserting themselves in my consciousness; I greet them with intoxicated reminiscence.

It’s strange how often thoughts of your parents enter your mind when drunk. I remember my mother. She was a model and must have married my father for his money because I never remember seeing them together. She ran off with one of the gardeners when I was eight. Father didn’t seem to care. From what I can remember of her, she seemed nice enough and I don’t blame her for leaving. Sometimes I wonder where she is and what she is doing, but I doubt knowing would change much. Or maybe I’m afraid of knowing, I’m not really sure.

My father. Ha! That corporate bastard is probably passed out in some fancy Umitoshi hotel suite along with a high-end whore and some empty bottles of sake, dreaming of making that next big deal. Don’t get me wrong, I have a certain degree of respect for my father: he supports me financially, he works extremely hard, he’s successful and he made sure I had the best education money could buy. But I don’t want to end up like him, empty, filling the void with booze and prostitutes…Well, I guess I’ve already developed the drinking habit, but existence is so much less heavy when you’re drunk. At least I’m young and charming enough that I don’t have to pay for sex. Tonight that charm seems to have failed, however.

I motion to the bartender. He refills my glass.

I look to where I am and as to how I got here. I remember my earlier days. I was that know-it-all rich kid. My father’s manor was in Shijotoshi, I lived and attended school there while he was off doing business in Umitoshi. Despite our wealth, my family never had much in terms of servants, just a few gardeners and our butler, Hideki, who also served as my personal tutor. Our house was large, quiet, full of art and books. These my father bought for show, I doubt he understood the implications of any of the pieces or had read any of the books. I eventually read every single one of those books; as for the art, Satoshi had always said they were good pieces, some possibly even originals. Satoshi has been my best friend since childhood and I consider him a brother; he still lives in Shijotoshi and now works at a university as a professor and artist. We spent many days after school running around the grounds and those art-strewn hallways, filling the empty spaces with colorful imagination. We still write each other regularly.

I did quite well in school and eventually developed an interest in martial arts which eventually snowballed into a passion of sorts; finally, an “art” at which I could excel. It was not long before I announced to my father that I was leaving to become a shinobi. I couldn't imagine a quiet life behind a desk. He wasn’t all that pleased. He was not a fan of shinobis or the military (war is rarely good for business), but it got me out of his hair so he obliged without the need for much convincing.

I did well in training and as a Genin. I thrived on the discipline. To have a task and to complete it, such beauty in the simplicity! Due to my late start I was slightly older than most of my classmates. As such I was never the star of the class, never the prodigy, but always successful, always amongst the top. I was quite content with this. From the very beginning I was surprised at how many incompetent shinobi there are. Incompetent shinobi such as these are part of the reason as to why I failed the Chuunin exam the first time around. Admittedly, the fault may partly lie with some slight arrogance on my part, but one man cannot carry the weight of an entire team. I did, however, learn that one cannot succeed alone in the world of human beings. In order to move forward you must often drag along those around you.

But things have been different ever since the Seagull conflict. Don't get me wrong, I really respect Nemoha Maya's style - she's all business and gets things done - but everything is still so charged, unstable and political. These asinine curfews, Shuzamaru's seven thugs, they're such unnecessary hassles. We're all just keeping our heads down, waiting for the dam to break so Kirigakure can wipe them out and move on, move forward.

And that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Move forward. I’m not sure why or what I’m going to do when I get there, but moving forward is the only way in which one can go. Maybe when I get there I can unload some of this heavy existence, this burden. I am Atlas and I’m tired of carrying the world.

I finish my drink and leave the bar. It would seem that at the moment my moving forward is characterized by a peculiar swerving of gait.

Other Info:

* Jun has a secret love for poetry.
* He is a budding alcoholic.

Writing Example: Not required

Thread Ratings: None

Last edited by Break; 03-21-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Break
Person

Eh, good enough. If someone could move this into the registry, that'd be great.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Sinnocent
So fragile yet so devious

Hoshou no Buki isn't available right now, even though it is listed :/ *eyes Res and pokes him with a stick* Don't ask why, I would have loved to have taken it for my Mist char that is in the process of being created too
Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Break
Person

Well, that's a damn shame. Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll be reworking this one. Though, it would have been nice and rather prudent if someone could have simply edited in a disclaimer on the Hoshou no Buki thread...
Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Kana
Sir Kana of Furyville

There's actually a message in the Mist RP section under Mist Announcements saying that it was closed for the time being. But if you are patient I think it's going to open soon.

Items/Swaps/To Do List
Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Res
Ancient Member

And hey, what do you know, I just opened the style ;D

However, the limitation at the moment is that your Chuunin will not be able to take the style past stage two at creation. So you have to redistribute the jutsu point you spent on stage 3. You can take stage 3+ after creation, etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Break
Person

I've reworked the stats and jutsus. As awesome as Hoshou no Buki is (I'll probably end up registering another character just to use it), it just doesn't seem to fit the feel of the character.

Added a bit to the bio to reflect current events in Mist.

Last edited by Break; 02-16-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Will of Fire
:)

Quote:
Intelligence: 1 + 7 = 8
Tactics: 1 + 1 +8 = 10
Willpower: 1 - 1 + 10 = 10
7 + 8 + 10 = 25. Youv'e got two more to spend on your secondary stat block.

Quote:
Power: 1 - 2 + 7 = 6
Control: 1 + 6 = 7
Reserves: 1 - 3 + 8 = 7
7 + 6 + 8 = 21. You've got 3 more to spend on this block.

Just as a matter of consistency, there's a flaw in the Willpower line that came from one of your archetypes that isn't bright green like the other archetype merits and flaws. I almost missed it the first time through your numbers.

Overall, nice work. Just a little bit of tidying up on that sheet and you'll be good to go!

Please do not request registry checks. I'll get to it soon enough.

Last edited by Will of Fire; 02-19-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Break
Person

Stats are all tidied up. Should be good to go.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Break
Person

A wild thread appeared!
Break used Bump!
It's super effective!